It was an honour for Dermatology Hawke’s Bay to sponsor an award in this year’s Primary Health Care Awards [September 2022].
There is a phenomenally talented pool of primary health care professionals in Hawke’s Bay, reflected in the sheer number of awards presented on the night.
Dr Bob Stephens, from the Tukituki Medical Centre (Waipukurau), received the Dermatology Hawke’s Bay – HB Faculty RNZCPG Kaumatua Award.
Much loved and respected by his community and colleagues and renowned for his support and mentoring of young GPs, the award celebrated his long service and dedication to the general practice profession.
His citation said: “Bob gave GP registrars and other trainees an experience of rural general practice, and of the complexity involved in rural health. As one former GP registrar explains: ‘Bob could explain why a patient may present in a certain way, because he’d know about their actual life. He understood the whanau, and the whenua so as to make sense of the person, not just the patient. That is the magic that makes General Practice work.”
Dermatology Hawke’s Bay specialist dermatologist and surgeon Dr Juber Hafiji said the evening, held at Toitoi-Hawke’s Bay Arts & Events Centre, was “truly inspiring”.
“It is so important for primary and secondary care health providers to work together and support each other – it’s all about sharing knowledge to provide the best care for our patients.”
The award winners in the Hawke’s Bay Primary Care Awards 2022, hosted by the Hawke’s Bay Faculty of Royal NZ College of General Practitioners, are:
- EIT School of Nursing Primary Care Individual Award: Karen Marshall, practice nurse, Carlyle Medical Centre
- EIT School of Nursing Primary Care Team award: Taradale Masonic Rest Home and Hospital
- Dermatology Hawke’s Bay Kaumatua Award: Dr Bob Stephens, Tukituki Medical Centre (award supported by HB Faculty RNZCGP)
- Hawke’s Bay Primary Care Leadership Award: Dr Mark Peterson, Taradale Medical Centre (award supported by Francis Health)
- Te Taiwhenua o Heretaunga Equity Award: Maraenui Medical Centre Childhood Immunisation Project
- Health Hawke’s Bay Primary Care Award: Dr Raewyn Paku, Hauora Heretaunga
- Kaweka Hospital Primary Care Award: Mr Michael Shields
- Kaupapa Maori COVID19 vaccination providers: Ngati Kahunguni Iwi Inc, Te Kupenga Hauora Ahuriri, Kungunu Executive ki Wairoa, Te Taiwhenua o Heretaunga, Choice Kahungunu Health (joint award)
- Sandra Strachan, receptionist, The Doctors Napier
- Liz Dixon, community pharmacist, Gilmour’s Pharmacy
- Kacy Christy, practice nurse, Hauora Heretaunga
- Karen Stone, Health Improvement Practitioner, The Doctors Napier
- Kathie Grant, receptionist, Tamatea Medical Centre
- Rebecca Koko, Koko’s Cafe, Hastings Health Centre (award supported by Reid Produce Co)
- Terrie Spedding, diabetes Clinical Nurse Specialist (award supported by Hastings Health Centre)